We have all grown up learning that milk is good for your health. Milk strengthens your bones
and is full of calcium and protein. But in today’s world, milk is not as pure as it used to be. The
artificial components such as prolactin, lutenizing hormone(LH), estrogens, progesterone,
oxytocin, growth hormone, thyroid stimulating hormone are present in the milk which may cause
hormonal imbalance leading to infertility in humans. Luckily, A2 milk saves us from the horrors
of what the mainstream dairy industry brings to us.
What is A2 Milk ?
Milk contains two major protein – casein and whey. Casein accounts for about 80% amount of
the protein in milk. There are different types of casein found in milk. Beta-casein is the second
most common form. Beta-casein is further divided into two forms :
● A1 Beta-casein : Mostly found in milk from cow breeds that originated in Northern
Europe. A1 milk comes from breeds like Holstein, Friesian, Ayrshire and British
● A2 Beta-casein : It is mostly found in milk from cow breeds that originated in the
Channel Islands and Southern France. This includes breeds like the Guernsey, Jersey,
Charolais and Limousin or the Gir cows. The Gir is a type of zebu cattle originating in
South Asia .
A1 and A2 beta-casein are genetic variants of the beta-casein milk protein that differ by one
amino acid . Regular cows produce milk that contains both the A1 and A2 Beta-casein. But A2
milk comes from cows that naturally produces only the A2 protein and no A1. The authenticity of
the breed of the cow matters when it comes to A2 milk. In India, the desi cows produce A2 milk
naturally. There are a lot of health benefits associated with A2 milk consumption. Some of them
● People with sensitivity to lactose might be able to consume A2 milk. It is easily absorbed
and doesn’t work against your body’s gastrointestinal system.
● It has higher anti-inflammatory markers and is easily tolerated. It is lighter on the
stomach than regular milk.
● A2 milk contains vitamins which is necessary for your health such as Vitamin D, Vitamin
A, Vitamin B12 and Riboflavin.
● It contains the three main minerals – calcium, phosphorus and potassium which are
essential for everyday functioning of your body.
● It is one of the most easiest and affordable form of protein and calcium sources. It builds
strong bones in kids and adults. An 8-ounce glass of a2 milk provides 9 essential
vitamins and minerals.
● A2 milk is free from harmful hormones and antibiotics.